You put many miles on your car every day in the Baton Rouge area—driving to and from work, picking up and dropping off kids, running errands, or heading down to the Gulf for the weekend. The last thing you expect as you make your way around town is to be hit by a careless driver. These accidents can come out of the blue and your life could be forever changed.
Common Causes of Baton Rouge Car Accidents
Not every car accident can be blamed on another person. If your own actions caused or contributed to your crash, you probably don’t have a claim to make. However, when you are driving safely and attentively and another driver makes a mistake that ends in a collision, that driver and their insurance company should be made to pay. Examples of these mistakes include the following:
- Speeding. We all do it from time to time, but when a driver’s speed causes them to lose control or prevent them from stopping in time and they crash into a car, they should be found at fault for the crash.
- Distraction. There has been a lot of attention paid to texting and driving in recent years, but drivers are distracted by lots of things behind the wheel, including eating, dealing with children in the back seat, adjusting the radio, setting the GPS, and even holding a hands-free conversation. These actions may not be obvious at the scene of a crash, but an experienced car accident attorney can investigate.
- Driving while impaired. Drunk and drugged driving are major causes of Baton Rouge crashes. When an impaired driver causes an accident, they are not only criminally liable, but liable for the damages they caused, including your injuries.
- Fatigue. Drivers who are sleep-deprived or who are tired after a long day at work are more likely to make mistakes that cause accidents. Dozing off or losing focus behind the wheel can lead to a catastrophic accident.
- Failure to obey traffic signs. Blowing through a stop sign, racing through a yellow light, failing to yield, driving down a one-way street the wrong way, and other careless actions are the cause of many accidents in towns and rural areas. When another driver is ticketed by law enforcement for one of these infractions, that makes your injury claim even stronger.
Even when the other driver’s liability appears to be clear-cut, you would be smart to hire a lawyer to represent you in a car accident injury claim.
Call Bianca | Matkins for Help
If you are looking for dedicated, personal representation, call Bianca | Matkins in Baton Rouge. After reviewing your case in a free consultation, we will let you know if we can improve your chances of winning the settlement you deserve. Connect with us to get started today!