As a South Louisiana law office dedicated to helping injury victims recover the compensation they are rightfully owed, Bianca | Matkins is proud to announce that our attorneys recently secured a seven-figure settlement for a woman who was seriously injured in a truck accident.
The case revolved around a woman who suffered injuries to her cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine while she was on the way to watch her son as he played in a championship game hosted by Grambling State University. Below we have highlighted notable facts of the case:
- The woman was riding as a passenger in a pickup truck on I-10.
- The involved tractor-trailer was traveling in the same lane while hauling 80,000 pounds of construction debris.
- The pickup truck slowed as it neared a traffic standstill.
- The tractor-trailer was speeding and did not reduce its speed for traffic conditions ahead.
- A third vehicle (a sedan) merged into their lane, cutting off the tractor-trailer.
- The tractor-trailer was driving too fast to react and hit the sedan, pushing it into the victim’s pickup truck.
The force of the collision pushed the vehicle our client was riding in off the road and into the nearby median. The crash caused severe damage to her spine, requiring arthroscopic surgery and multiple spinal fusions.
Proving that the truck driver was liable for the crash was challenging, as they contended that the accident would not have occurred if the sedan had not cut their vehicle off. However, our investigation and the results of DK Global’s accident reconstruction proved otherwise.
By accessing, evaluating, and analyzing data from the truck’s event data recorder (EDR), we were able to conclude that the semi-truck’s speed was the main cause of the collision. This proved that even if the sedan had not been present, a crash between the tractor-trailer and pickup truck would have still occurred due to the semi’s speed.
At Bianca | Matkins, we draw on a variety of sources and evidence when building cases on behalf of our clients. We know what it takes to win, and we don’t stop short of anything less. If you’ve been injured in an accident and want to learn more about your options for financial recovery, an attorney from our law firm is available to discuss your rights during a free consultation.
Louisiana Texting and Driving Laws